I’m sure a lot of you have seen how great the use of lemon in water is! Well I’d like to say it again. Lemon water is great for you. While most individuals quickly gravitate towards coffee, I challenge you to put down the coffee until after you have your warm lemon water. I guarantee it will reduce your urge to brew that cup of coffee. While coffee isn’t inherently bad, it is a diuretic. When we wake up in the morning, our bodily tissues are dehydrated and are in need of water to push out toxins and rejuvenate the cells. Starting with a big glass of warm/hot lemon water will jump start your day and the lemon will actually help energize you.
Here is what to do:
Upon wakening head to your kitchen to start a pot your tea kettle. Go to the restroom if need be, and head down stairs to prepare your beverage. When the water is almost to boil, squeeze 1/2 a lemon into the cup and enjoy. Sometimes I enjoy using peppermint tea with mine or fresh cut ginger. Sip on the lemon water while you get ready and if you still feel the need to grab the coffee that is fine, but get some water in first!
Here is why:
- It contains vitamin c, calcium, folate, vitamin b5, vitamin b3, vitamin b1 and b2, iron, magnesium, phosphors, potassium, zinc as well as sugar, carbohydrates, dietary fiber, fat and protein.
- Lemons are a rich source of vitamin C. Vitamin C is essential to keep you immune from cough and cold. Lemons contain flavonoids which work against viruses and keep the body fit.
- Water with lemon provides the body with electrolytes which hydrate your body
- Drinking lemon juice with warm water in the morning will help in giving regular and easy bowel movement. Following a lemonade diet is beneficial for those with troubled bowel movements. It interacts with other enzymes and acids which easily stimulate the secretion of gastric juice and digestion.
- Lemons are used in treating high blood pressure as well
- Lemon juice helps to dissolve uric acid and other poisons. It also helps to liquefy the bile. All this helps to stimulate the liver and detoxifies it.
- Water with lemon aids in proper functioning of the nervous system (as lemon has a high content of potassium). Depression and anxiety are often the result of low levels of potassium in the blood. The nervous system needs a sufficient amount of potassium to ensure sustainable signals to the heart.
- Lemon has been discovered to have 22 anti-cancer compounds. These include limonene that slows down the growth of cancer tumors and flavonol glycosides which can stop cell division in cancer cells.
- Lemon is known for its antibacterial properties and can destroy malaria, cholera, diphtheria, typhoid and other bacteria.
- The citric acid in lemon helps to dissolve gall stones, kidney stones as well as calcium deposits.
- Water with lemon is beneficial for pregnant women. Since lemons are loaded with Vitamin C, it acts as an adaptogen helping the body cope with viruses such as colds. Furthermore, vitamin C helps the formation of bone tissue of the unborn baby. At the same time, due to the high content of potassium, a mixture of water with lemon helps forming cells of the brain and nervous system of the baby.
I hope this encourages you to try this new routine! I have been loving my lemon water in the morning. I find that starting your day off on the right foot will stimulate you to make better choices the rest of the day!