What to eat at night. Most of us tend to want a little extra snack at night, so why not eat something that will help you sleep? Here is what I found on SELF
- Dried Tart Cherries: Tart cherries contain melatonin, which is also known as the sleep-inducing hormone. Their sweet-tart flavor may satisfy your evening sweet toothwhile giving you an antioxidant boost and possibly helping you catch some zzz’s. Just make sure to measure your portion and keep it to about a quarter cup serving to avoid a calorie overload.
- Nuts: Nuts are a great snack any time of day because their combination of protein and healthy fat helps quell hunger while providing plenty of nutrients. They are great to have in the evening as well because they will satisfy the urge for a crunchy snack and you don’t need to eat many to get that feel-full effect. Just a quarter cup serving will keep hunger at bay all night without leaving you with that stuffed feeling before bed or making you wake up bloated in the morning.
- Popcorn: Popcorn is a complex carb, so it contains serotonin, which is a hormone that helps you relax. It’s a great snack to munch on in the evenings because you can have a lot of it (3 cups popped) for only 100 calories if you skip dousing it in butter. It’s great if you want an evening snack that will last longer than a couple of seconds. Plus, the fiber in it will help satisfy your hunger and ward off cravings.
- Banana: If you get an evening craving for something sweet with a soft, creamy texture, you won’t find a better bedtime snack than a banana. It’s also a natural source of melatonin and it’s a great snack for when you are feeling lazy because it doesn’t require any work to prepare. As an added bonus, the potassium in the banana may prevent you from waking up during the night with sore, cramping muscles after an intense workout.
- Oatmeal: If you love the feeling of going to bed with a full belly without being too full, try a small bowl of oats. The stick-to-your-ribs power of its high-fiber content coupled with the relaxing and satisfying effect of the carbohydrates makes it a perfect evening snack. To kick up the flavor, add a drizzle of honey and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
Hope that this can help curve some of your cravings or help you enjoy a late night snack without regrets.