Hello! This recipe was inspired by a recipe I found on Pinterest. I don’t typically buy steak because of how expensive it is, but I needed a change. This roll ups would pair great with some Cauliflower Rice or simply some roasted sweet potatoes.
For the Veggie filling
- 1 carrot
- 1/2 a zucchini (depending on size)
- 1/2 onion
- Bacon Grease
- 2 tsp butter
- 2 tbsp finely chopped shallots
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Steak Seasoning to taste (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 Degrees
- Start by prepping the steak. Tenderize the meat with a meat hammer until less than 1/2 inch thick. Then trim some of the fat and cut the steak into 3 inch wide strips. Mine made 4 strips.
- Season the steak pieces generously on both sides with butter, salt, pepper, beef broth, minced ginger, and minced shallots and . And let them sit in the marinade for atleast 30 mins if not a couple hours.
- While the steak is marinating prep the filling for them. Chop up the carrot, onion and zucchini into matchstick size pieces, little longer than the width of the steak strips.
- To assemble steak rolls simply lay out steak and roll the filling into the steak and hold closed with toothpicks. I used about 3-4 toothpicks per steak roll.
- If you have a cast iron skillet: brown meat on medium/high heat in butter until all sides are browned. Then slide straight into the oven for 5-10 minutes depending on how you want it cooked.
- If you DON”T have a cast iron skillet: Brown meat on medium/high heat in butter until all sides are browned. Then transfer to a greased oven safe pan. Cook for 5-10 minutes until cooked to your liking.
You may also cook these strictly on the stove top or take them to grill.
Hope you all enjoy this! We loved it!