Hey all! Lasagna is one of my favorite comfort foods! Especially meat lasagna! The downside is that it can contain a large amount of carbs and sugar. So here is a great recipe to get rid of the processed white flour pasta and add in some more vegetables! I personally enjoy my foods to be simple, but feel free to add bell peppers, extra tomatoes, or what ever else you enjoy.
- 1 lb high quality beef
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 onion
- 2 cups tomato sauce (I used Trader Joe’s marinara)
- 1 tsp coconut oil or olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 fresh tomatoes
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 3 medium zucchini, sliced 1/8″ thick
- 15 oz whole fat ricotta
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup parmesan
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- In a medium sauce pan, brown meat in coconut oil and season with salt. When cooked drain some of the extra fat/not all.
- While meat is browning mince or chop garlic and onions then add to cooking meat.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Chop and add tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper. Simmer on low until meat is almost fully cooked. remove pan from heat and add your choice of tomato sauce.
- Meanwhile, slice zucchini into 1/8″ thick slices (or simply thinly sliced…) Zucchini has a lot of water so blot excess moisture with a paper towel.
- OPTIONAL: Grill or broil zucchini on each side, until cooked, about 1-2 minutes per side. Place on paper towels to soak any excess moisture. (this is just for flavor)
- In a 9×12 casserole spread meat sauce on the bottom and layer the zucchini to cover. Then place some of the ricotta cheese mixture. repeat the process until all your ingredients are used up. Top with sauce and mozzarella and parmesan and cover with foil. (should make 3 layers)
- Bake 20 minutes covered at 425°, then uncovered 10 minutes. Let stand about 5 – 10 minutes before serving. Pair with a nice salad!
Hope you all enjoy this recipe!